Groups from quantiles
Categorizes a continuous variable by generating a new categorical variable with group numbers based on the quantiles of the continuous variable.
- Target variable: the variable which you want to contain the group numbers.
- New variable: select this option and enter the name of a new variable (and a new column) in the data table.
- Overwrite existing variable: select this option to select an existing variable or column in the data table. The corresponding column will be cleared before the random numbers are generated.
- Data: select the continuous variable and a possible filter.
- Number of groups: the required number of groups, e.g. enter 4 to create groups based on the quartiles of the selected continuous variable.
The selected column in the data table is filled with the group numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3 and 4) corresponding with the quantiles of the continuous variable.
Go to Groups from quantiles.